Pharaoh Ant – Monomorium pharaonis
- golden yellow to red with darker markings down the back
- 1/12 inch in size
- wide variety of secluded places in cracks and crevices (countertops, baseboards, wall voids, under floors)
- prefer a warm and humid environment (e.g. near furnances, hot water pipes and heat ducts)
- more likely to nest indoors than other ants
- syrups, jellies, grease, cake, pet food, dead insects, toothpaste, soap and several other things most insects would not touch
- contaminate sweets and greases
- serious pest of dormitories, hospitals, schools, and apartments
- Control may be hard because nests can be difficult to find and there may be multiple nesting sites in the building.
- Use a bait specific to the pharaoh ant.