Odorous House Ant – Tapinoma sessile
- dark brown to black
- 1/10 inch in size
- emit an odor similar to coconuts when disturbed or smashed
- outdoors – nest in mulch next to buildings and in soil under protection in loose soil
- indoors – nest in walls and under carpet, usually near water pipes
- insects and sweets, especially honeydew excreted by aphids and other insects
- forage indoors for sweets, cooked vegetables, fruit and pastries
- contaminate foods such as sweets, meats, dairy products and vegetables
- Locate and destroy all nests to avoid re-infestation (follow ants back from their food source).
- Clean ant trails with soap and water.
- Trim shrubbery and trees away from buildings.
- Store food in airtight containers, and dispose of trash regularly.
- Seal potential ant entryways.
- Use a bait specific to the odorous house ant.